7 December 2005

FTP Software - A Common Question

FTP stands for 'File Transfer Protocol', allowing you to manage your website without the HTML interface of 250m or GeoCities. It also allows you to login securely and more easily than on HTTP, and allows multiple files to be uploaded at once, but which is the best program to use?
I used to use FTP Commander from http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm, but after a while, it got annoying having to browse through the folders all the time to get to my local copy of my website. So I went looking for something else, and I found it:
Beyond Compare from http://www.scootersoftware.com/. This one can save two sets of folders as a project, so there's no need to browse through for them, and the comparison feature for looking into files is really good! No longer do I have to write down what I have updated on my site, Beyond Compare just tells me what has a more recent modification date than other files.
I will get some screenshots uploaded onto my website soon...